This week I decided to ask myself the question: How would swapping milk for a dairy alternative alter a recipe? I asked myself this question both because I have many friends who are lactose intolerant as well as I would like to cut back on my dairy consumption while still being able to enjoy all my favourite deserts. So I began to research.

I found that switching out dairy is not as simple as swapping the type of milk you use. Without milk there is a lack of fat (especially if you want to use almond milk or cashew milk) causing the baked good to become drier and denser then normal, to elevate this you must add more fat you could add extra butter but if you want it to be non dairy, vegetable or coconut oil would work as well. You’ll also need to swap baking powder for baking soda to get the same sort of rise in the baked good, cows milk is a bit acidic and so it reacts with the baking powder to create the lift however non dairy milk’s are alkaline and so the need the baking soda to rise.

Source